Image Map

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

so here it goes...

Pinterest is a little internet love of mine...I'm normally the last to catch on to things but in case you haven't heard of it you really should check it out. It's a hive full of delicious and pretty things that people from all over the internet have posted. You can either 'repin' their posts or upload your own onto your page. It's a great way to organise your finds and inspire...or perhaps pinspire?... you to get round to making them!




Anyway I stumbled across these lovely flowers on there and fancied making my own version. I had a shirt sitting around which was just asking to be upcycled into these pretty things:





The most time consuming thing was cutting out the petals, the flowers themselves took no time at all.



The 'how to' bit



1) Using a template cut out 8 petals (or however many petals you wish to use, 5 also looks really lovely) from your chosen fabric...I used cotton but whatever you choose it's worth considering whether the material is likely to fray much.



2) Sew 2 running stitches through each petal until all are threaded.







3) Tie both ends of thread together and pull tight, securing with a knot. and, voila, one pretty cotton flower is formed.




For the observant people out there you'll have noticed the above picture has only one running stitch through each petal...and that, my friends, is because I forgot to photograph the first flower in progress! However, I did also make a flower with only one running stitch through each petal which turned out like this:


Now I just need to decide what to do with them...at the moment I'm thinking a strand of flowers on ribbon to adorn my staircase but I'll let you know what I decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...