Image Map

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jewellery gift ideas part 3 - woven earrings


Unique jewellery is such a lovely gift and it's even more meaningful when you have put the time and effort into making it yourself. I love making and receiving handmade gifts, so I thought I would put together a mini series which will hopefully inspire you to whip out your jewellery stash and get creating!

The beauty of each of these ideas is that they are so versatile - you could either make them just as I suggest or simply use each of the tutorials as a springboard to that perfect gift.

Already made: Vintage inspired pearl and ribbon necklace, beaded pendant necklace

                               ....................................................................................................................



I love these earrings. I actually made a pair using this design years ago but used thin wire instead of thread. They turned out great, so if you wanted to do that I can assure you it works well! But I love this glitter thread, it makes me feel like I'm wearing triangular snowflakes - perfect for Christmas presents :)


1) Cut two lengths of wire and, using the pliers, bend the wire to create a triangle. Wrap wire around in a tight coil to secure the shape. Cut off any excess wire and squish (the technical term) the end flat against the wire with the pliers.


2) Cut a long length of thread and tie a knot around the wire. Keeping the thread taut, begin to wrap around the wire. Every now again wrap the thread over and under the wire to keep it secure.


3) Continue wrapping the thread until you have thickness you wish, then secure the thread with another knot. Cut off excess thread.


4) Finally add a jump ring and an earring.


Such a simple design but very pretty!

Next up tomorrow is a teardrop necklace and earring set...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...