Image Map

Sunday, March 10, 2013

D.I.Y mini notebook...


I meet up weekly with a group of my friends to read through a book called Women By Design. It's by a woman named Penelope Swithinbank, who we got to meet last week when she came to lead a retreat day at my husband's college. The book looks at identity and self esteem, challenging the measures we so often use to measure our worth. In the first week we were challenged to name things we like about ourselves...needless to say we all found it a little embarrassing and, well, very unbritish! We were much more comfortable talking about our shortcomings which I think as women we are very good at doing. It was a good challenge though because, actually, we should like ourselves. God made me to be me and you to be you, so we should celebrate our individuality rather than constantly compare ourselves to others! As a little joke I made these mini notepads for each of the girls the following week with the covers saying things like 'I'm just blooming marvellous' to serve as a cute reminder that actually they are just that :)

These are so versatile, I'm thinking of making another one to use to record birthdays and maybe another to carry around with emergency numbers in.

I didn't initially think to share these here so there aren't any step by step pictures...but that doesn't really matter as it's pretty self explanatory.


What you need:
Pretty card
A3 paper
Pencil and ruler
Scissors or Guillotine 
Glue
Printer (optional)


1) Take the A3 paper and cut into strips (one per notepad). You can make them any size you like, mine were 7.5cm wide.

2) Fold the strip of paper in a concertina fold using the ruler to score the edges.

3) Next cut out two rectangles from the card, these are the front and back covers so you want them to be slightly bigger than the folded paper (I cut mine 8 x 6 cm)

4) Next print out your statement on the printer, cut to size and glue to one of the rectangles of card.

5) Finally use a small amount of glue to secure the front and back covers to the folded paper. Place under a heavy book (or similar) until dry.

And that is it!


Happy Sunday :) Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend...has anyone else had snow (albeit a tiny amount) over night? 

7 comments:

  1. Has anyone ever told you that you're genius?! I love all types of stationary and now I can make my own, or attempt to :)

    I didn't have snow or rain, but it was 80F over the weekend, and now it's in the 40s.

    perpetualnomming.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I'm going to have to make one... or 12. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this lovely tutorial! I will definitely be pinning this. Cheers! McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com
    p.s. I am so excited that I stumbled upon your blog. I will definitely be following you on bloglovin and GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so lovely! and i agree--we are rather quick to voice our faults and less likely to build up our confidence in what we do well. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your inspiration behind these and how lovely and unique these turned out! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these little notebooks. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...