Image Map

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Make your own chocolate cups...

I made these right back at the beginning of August...we had just got back from a long drive home after holiday and felt in need of a chocolate pick-me-up. I've wanted to make chocolate cups ever since seeing this delicious looking hot chocolate on Pinterest...however I settled on filling mine with the slightly more practical option of chocolate mousse!


For 2 chocolate cups:
1. Melt 100g white chocolate, set aside.
2. Blow up two balloons to the desired size (keep them small to maintain the bowl shape)
3. Dip the balloons repeatedly into the melted chocolate to build up the chocolate shell.
4. Set onto a lined tray/plate and chill until set.
5. Pop the balloon and gently pull away from the chocolate shell.


I filled mine with far too much chocolate mousse (well it was fine for me but my husband doesn't have the same skill in packing away chocolate!). I used a super easy recipe from The Big Book of Chocolate...

Ingredients:
1 egg white
5tbsp caster sugar
100g dark chocolate
125ml double cream

1. Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool
2. Whip the cream to soft peaks
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until the soft peak stage. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to whisk until the peaks are thick and shiny.
4. Use a metal spoon to fold in the chocolate and cream.
5. Divide between the two cups and refrigerate for 30 minutes before devouring serving.

I hope you enjoy having a go at your own chocolate cups!


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, and thanks for the mousse recipe too! I can't wait to try it!
    Is it true that you need a "food-grade" balloon, or is that just something I heard from an antsy internet user? If you used a regular one and lived to tell the tale, I will too ;) Love the posts so much! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, I haven't heard of food grade balloons - oops! I gave them a bit of a wash and as a trial I wrapped one in clingfilm. Both the one wrapped in clingfilm and the one with just the balloon came out well. I'll probably risk it with cheap balloons but if you're worried then using clingfilm as an outer layer would probably be a cheaper alternative to food-grade balloons!
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...